What is the City of Victoria Youth Council?
- Youth-driven, grassroots project that offers opportunities for civic engagement to youth who live, work, hang out or go to school in the City of Victoria
- Hosted by BC Healthy Communities in partnership with the City of Victoria
- We actively seek out collaborations and partnerships
- We emphasize leadership and skill development to help youth access City Hall
- We can act as a positive advocate for youth who are unable or unwilling to speak for themselves
- To be the go-to group on municipal youth issues and initiatives in Victoria for youth, other community members, city staff, and elected officials
- Listen and communicate regularly with youth from all backgrounds and walks of life
- Offer youth information and tools for engaging in municipal processes
- Work with Mayor, Council, and city staff to include youth perspectives and experiences in municipal processes and decisions
- Take action and raise awareness about issues important to youth in collaboration with stakeholders
- Make recommendations and lobby municipal government with, and on behalf of, the general youth population
Our Core Values
- That youth are key stakeholders and should be included in decisions that affect them and their communities as a whole;
- That young people are capable individuals and bring many talents, assets, and abilities to municipal governance, Mayor and Council, city staff, and the community; and
- Injustices and inequities should be recognized and addressed by youth and other community members.
- We strive for inclusion with influence, not tokenism, within the CVYC and in our relationship with the municipal government;
- We are committed to reflecting the diversity of youth through our work;
- We are committed to learning, being challenged, and collaborating whenever effective; and
- We strive to create a space that is respectful, inclusive, and fun for all participants.