We do a lot!
The CVYC is a hands on group of youth leaders from many different backgrounds, experiences and stages in life.
We work together to create action plans and make change around issues that matter to us. Each of the members are passionate about different issues, concerns and work that youth are making change around.
This Means We...
- Listen and communicate regularly with youth from all walks of life and backgrounds
- Offer youth information and tools for engaging in the municipal political process
- Work with the Mayor, Council and City Staff to include youth voice and experience in municipal processes and decisions
- Take action and raise awareness of pressing issues that are important to youth in coalition with stakeholders
- Make recommendations and lobby municipal government with, and on behalf of, youth
Some examples of what we do include:
- Facilitate and coordinate collaboration between youth groups, and community groups working in areas that members are passionate about - like homelessness, or drug and alcohol use/abuse
- Volunteer at community events - Bring together youth in the community for discussions and forums about important and pressing issues and take their voice to mayor, council and city staff thru recommendations and ideas for programming and initiatives
- Create spaces where youth can meet one another around topics that are important to them - like climate change, more equitable access to education etc.
- Work with the old community members to bring forward ways and shed light on why working with youth and including youth voice in decisions and community development is important